Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Fish gratin

Growing up in Norway my mom would make this dish at least twice a month. It is a good way of using up leftovers of Cod and also a very inexpensive dish.

My mom would serve it with a breaded top crust, boiled potatoes and a raw veggie salad made of carrots in water with a little bit of lemon juice and sugar.

I have made my own version that my kids enjoy and I hope you will like it too.

CIMG3804 CIMG3787

Make a white sauce of 4 Tbsp butter or margarine, 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, 2 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp nutmeg. Melt butter and whisk in the flour on low-medium heat. Cook for a few minutes while whisking constantly. Add the milk and whisk till it is very thick and smooth. Add salt and nutmeg.

CIMG3788

Boil a pan full of water. Add 1 tsp salt and about 1.5 lbs cod. Turn the heat off and let stand. I usually do this step the day before for another dinner of poached cod or I do this before I make the sauce.

CIMG3790

Prepare 1 cup orzo according to package, but drain them before they are all dente as they will continue to cook in the white sauce later.

CIMG3791

Divide two eggs. Reserve the yokes and whip the whites stiff. On the picture you see my ceiling in the corner.

CIMG3792

Drain the fish and break it apart in the pan. Check that there are no bones left.

CIMG3794

Add the orzo and the white sauce to the fish. Check to see if there is enough salt and nutmeg. My husband likes to add a little pepper too.

CIMG3795

Add the egg yokes and mix them in fast to avoid cooking them if the sauce is still hot.

CIMG3796

Carefully fold in the egg whites to make it nice a fluffy.

CIMG3797

Honestly you can add the frozen veggies anytime. I just forgot to the last minute and I only had corn. Usually I use a mix of corn, carrots, green beans and others. If you do it now be careful to just fold them in.

CIMG3798 CIMG3800 

Cover with a little cheese or bread crumbs if you like that better. Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. Take the foil of and bake for another 10-20 minutes till the middle is set.

CIMG3802

Enjoy with a salad or some vegetables on the side as well. My family had it last night and both the kids asked for seconds. I am sure it will become a family favorite with yours too.

Linking up to

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden Show and Tell Green

3 comments:

Shabby Soul said...

I have never heard of a dish using fish like this - it sounds really yummy! I am gonna give it a try! Thanks for posting it!

Amanda Lee said...

This sounds wonderful! I will have to try this. My husband is of Norwegian descent, but the only recipe that has survived three generations in the states is for a Kringla.
~Amanda

Nicole said...

Made this tonight for dinner. Can't wait to try it!