Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Perfectionism and procrastination

I am procrastinating this morning and I decided to Google to see if I could find any good images of procrastination. The picture above showed up and it feels like a picture of my life right now.

I am feeling frustrated that I am not doing what I should be doing, inadequate  that I am not good enough to do what I should be doing, overwhelmed with stress, worry and anxiety because I am afraid I will never reach the deadline.

I am feeling a little unfulfilled as I long for a career, to be able to use my education as a teacher.

My habits are poor as I tend to set to high expectations for myself, then when I fail I add to my low self esteem and feeling of guilt by self criticizing. It is a vicious cycle.

I lack confidence in myself and instead of asking for the resources that I need, i.e.support and help to watch the kids so I can get it done, I do it all myself.

I have huge fears of failure and conflicts with others and being judged by others as a failure.

I am a perfectionist who tend to over micromanage, over plan it and over work it.

So what now?

What will I do about this deep insight into myself?

Will I procrastinate doing anything about it?

Or will I work on one branch at the time and get it done?

How about you?

Hey I got one thing of my list then… I wrote this post.

Sharing it with the anti-procrastinators at New Nostalgia

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

What a great graphic!! Years ago, I sold Mary Kay Cosmetics and read the best advice in one of MK's books. She said you should never create a To Do List that has items on it that you can't complete in one day. For example, let's say you are writing a book. You don't put "Work on book" on your To Do List because that is too broad and just sets you up for failure. What you should do is be more specific and realistic for one day: "Write at least 300 words" or "Complete Chapter 1" or "Complete outline for Chapter 1". Something attainable for that one day so that you can accomplish it and actually feel accomplished. Aiming for specific, attainable goals like that make it easier to jump in and get started so that there is less procrastination and more satisfaction with the results. Now I'm not saying I'm not still a procrastinator like I was before I read that years ago, but her advice is always in the back of my mind!

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Hello Marianne,
Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog, come back and visit anytime!

your friend,
Janet xox

http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

I am also a procrastinator and wait till I feel the pressure to get things done. Amy's blog has helped me so much in the last year to prioritize and put on my list the most important items...i am in a little lull right now but hope to participate again next week! I think by joining in Anti-Procrastination Tuesdays that you are taking a big step in the right direction! Good luck! hugs, Cathy

Unknown said...

Girl I know JUST what you are talking about. I don't try things I really want to because I am afraid to fail. Thanks for being vulnerable. For me it is all how I talk to myself...grr.
Thanks for sharing:)

Rose @ Confessions of a Curbshopaholic said...

Marianne, from one procrastinator to another... learn to give yourself a break! I was wayyy too serious when I was younger...trying to be perfect at everything and control every aspect of my life. I never let myself have fun!
Now, I still procrastinate, but I enjoy the moments I have a lot more and look on the bright side. I feel badly that I did not take time to enjoy my kids as much as I should have when they were growing up. It goes so fast. So really, just pick the things your truly want to do NOW and the rest can wait. Enjoy your life. That's what I wish someone had told me years ago.