Thursday, April 8, 2010

Procrastinator and perfectionist

I have a confession to make...

I am a procrastinator and a perfectionist.

Yes believe or not.

Amy at New Nostalgia has this great party every Tuesday called Anti-Procrastination Tuesday. There we meet to inspire and support eachother to get things done, whatever those things might be. She was so nice to come and visit me and left a comment saying how procrastinators tend to be perfectionists and how nice it is that I encourage a more healthy thinking by saying that things will eventually get done.

I do stand by what I said. Things will eventually get done.

Still I have a hard time living by it. The quilt I am working on is not perfect. I see all the flaws and all the mistakes I have and am making and I hate it. I don't want to work on it because it isn't perfect, but I don't have the energy to do it all over again and I want to make something for my daughter.

I am a perfectionist, but I have come to realize that
1. I like to get done fast, when things get done fast it does not get perfect.
2. I don't have time to do things the way I want to and it does not get perfect then.
3. When I ask others to help me, it doesn't get done my way and it's not perfect either.

It really used to stress me out... and it still does.

I am a work in progress. It is hard for me to work on my quilt because it is not going to be perfect, but when my quilt is done it will be a product of a prosess I have been through where my standards has to be set lower.

But I don't like to work on this and I procrastinate. It just isn't fun to work on something where all I see is mistakes and flaws. That is where Amy and everyone else linking up to A-P Tuesdays are so important at keeping me accountable and encouraging me to work on myself.

So one step at the time I will overcome this and finish the quilt, just like I overcame keeping a clean and perfect house after I got married. (The clean house issue took 5 years to overcome and so far only 2 years has gone by on the quilt).

BTW today we ate our first dinner outside at our new table. I will post a picture of it later some time. It was just warm enough on our deck to sit out there. Kind of funny since it actually hailed here this morning.

No comments: