Thursday, April 14, 2011

The best Healthy Apple Muffins

Seriously, these muffins is the best “healthy” apple muffins I have ever made. They were crispy on the outside when I took them out of the oven, but soft and juicy on the inside. The kids both loved them and so did their babysitter. By the time I got home from the baby shower there were hardly anyone left and I made 23 muffins before going to church Sunday morning.

I found this recipe at the Smitten Kitchen after doing an internet search for Healthy Apple Muffins. Seeing the pictures I have so much to learn when it comes to taking pictures and reading her recipe had me convinced that this was it. And I was so right. I am totally making this again today.

Here is a picture from the Smitten Kitchen as I never got to take a picture of mine before they were all devoured.

whole wheat apple muffins

When I make them next I will do some substitutions that I have found while reading the comment section that others have done.

Change 1 c white, 1 c wheat flour to 1/2 c white, 1/2 c wheat, 1 c rolled oats and possibly add some ground flax seed.
Change 1/2 c granulated, 1/4 c brown sugar to just 1/2 c brown, with a good sprinkling of brown sugar on top or just some extra sugar in the batter as I accidently put 1/2 cup brown sugar in mine last time they were fine, I think that’s what made them crunchy all around actually.
Change 1/2 c unsalted butter to 1/4 c apple sauce, 1/4 c canola oil.
Added 1/4 tsp nutmeg and 1/4 tsp ginger.

You can also substitute the egg for 1 Tbsp of flaxseeds mixed with 3 Tbsp of water. The yogurt or buttermilk can be substituted with any kind of milk mixed with 1 Tbsp of vinegar I saw hazelnut, almond, oat, and soy milks being recommended.

If you would like to make this you will find the recipe here.

Linking up to

8 comments:

Marie @ Chocolate-Covered Chaos said...

That looks like a good recipe. I love that you can "play" with it until you have it the way you like it:) I'll have to try these sometime!

Morgan//Nuts and Bows said...

Mmmmm! These look so good! Thanks for the great recipe!

Meet Virginia Design
Check out my Blowfish Shoes GIVEAWAY!! Free shoes up for grabs friends!!

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

These look very yummy!

Thepearsonfamilee said...

YUMM! Those look delicious...like the idea of nutmeg and ginger! Visiting from lbr linky party.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by This Catholic Life so I could find your blog. I am your newest subscriber. These muffins looks so good and seriously don't you wonder how they take such good pictures of food?

Anonymous said...

These Look Super!! I always substitute here and there and it almost always comes out ok...almost... Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friday.

Jenny said...

Oh yum! Thanks for the visit...I'm a new follower!

Lora Maria said...

oh delicious! I can't wait to make these. My little guy LOVES muffins, too. :)