Thursday, June 23, 2011

More crayon / marker rolls

The kids and I really love the crayon roll I made earlier. It was so practical and made it so easy to keep tabs on how many crayons we had at any time.

Then for the kid’s birthday they got a lot of markers, both Crayola Color Wonder and Rose Art markers. And that made me think, “What if I made rolls for the markers as well.

IMG_7639

The smallest one is actually made to fit the crayons, but shortened to only fit 10. Obviously it got to small, but it still works. I was wondering what I could do to make the one to fit the bigger markers when it hit me.

So using {The Pleated Poppy}’s tutorial with the measurements to fit crayons I did a little math. Her measurements are 15 1/2 by 5 with the crayons being thin and only about 3 inches long. I thought that if I added 2 inches to however long my markers were and since you can actually fit 2 crayons into one 1 inch pocket, I could take or add 1/4 inch to the pockets depending on the thickness of the markers.

For the Crayola Magic Markers who are 5 1/2 inches long and somewhat thick my measurements were 7 1/2 by 15 1/2. The pocket were made at 1 1/4 inch increments and I were able to fit all 11 markers and two pencils.

I also found out that I could not start in the middle putting the lines for the pocket in. Instead I started my first line at 1/4 inch from the edge.

For the other markers I had to make two rolls since there were over 50 of them. They are a little longer and thinner. I made the pockets only 3/4 inch wide to accommodate as many markers as I could.

I absolutely love these rolls and I am planning on making more of these as gifts for my cousins kids for Christmas this year.

No comments: